- ½ tsp. whole fennel seeds
- 6 ounces of your favorite organic dark chocolate
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsps. unsalted butter, diced
- 1 tsp. culinary lavender
- 2 tbsps. granulated sugar
- ¼ cup organic unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place the fennel seeds in a small, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Toast the seeds until fragrant, about 3 minutes (watch carefully, so they don't burn). Using a spice grinder or mini-food processor, grind to a fine powder, about 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a food processor, grind the chocolate to a fine powder, about 10 seconds. Pour ground chocolate into a medium-sized, heatproof bowl, and set aside.
- Place the cream and butter in a small, heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, about 1-2 minutes. Once boiling, remove from heat and stir in the lavender and fennel seeds. Cover and steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the infused cream into the bowl with the ground chocolate, pressing on the solids in the strainer with the back of a spoon. Discard solids remaining in the strainer. Add the granulated sugar to the chocolate-cream (ganache) mixture. Whisk the chocolate, cream, and sugar together until smooth. If not completely smooth, place the bowl over a pan of simmering water to help melt the chocolate a little more. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours until the mixture is thick enough to scoop.
- When ready to form truffles, sieve the cocoa powder into a small- to medium-sized bowl to break up any clumps. Set the large platter that you'll be using for storing the truffles next to it. Remove the ganache from the fridge.
- Using a teaspoon melon baller or teaspoon measurer and your hands, form balls out of the ganache. Dredge the balls in the cocoa, shake off any excess, and place the finished truffles on the platter. Continue making truffles until all of the ganache has been used up.
- Chill truffles for 30 minutes or more, and serve.
Organic culinary lavender
Try our culinary lavender sampler pack.
A tin of organic culinary lavender is a kitchen cabinet essential!
We also offer culinary lavender in bulk.