Grilled Broccoli and Arugula Salad
Author: Ninebark, Napa, C
- 2 heads of broccoli, florets separated, stems peeled and reserved
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 oil-packed anchovy fillet
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chervil with tender sprigs
- 1 cup tarragon leaves
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- ½ teaspoon crushed organic culinary lavender buds.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 cups mature arugula, tough stems removed, leaves torn
- 3½ ounces smoked cheddar, grated
- Cook broccoli in a large pot of boiling salted water until bright green and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain; transfer to a bowl of ice water. Let cool, then drain. Pat broccoli dry; place in a large bowl.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Drizzle broccoli with oil and toss to coat; season with salt. Grill broccoli, turning occasionally, until charred in spots, 5–7 minutes. Return to bowl and let cool, tossing occasionally.
- Purée anchovy, garlic, mayonnaise, buttermilk, chervil, tarragon, chives, lemon juice, and mustard in a blender until smooth; season dressing with salt.
- Add arugula to broccoli and toss to combine. Drizzle salad with ¾ cup dressing and toss to coat; season with more salt if needed.
- Arrange salad on a platter and top with cheddar and crushed lavender buds.
- Do Ahead: Dressing can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.