Seared Salmon with Strawberry Basil Relish
Brushed with lavender honey and topped with a tangy, savory mix of strawberries, basil and black pepper.
Author: Inspired by Taste of Home
- 6 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted, or 1 TBS olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon lavender honey*
- Dash freshly ground pepper
- *LAVENDER HONEY:
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons dried culinary lavender
- In a small bowl, toss strawberries with basil and pepper. Set aside.
- Whisk together metled butter and lavender honey, then brush fillets with the mix; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fillets, skin side up, in batches if necessary; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork.
- Top salmon with relish.
- *LAVENDER HONEY RECIPE:
- Pour honey into a medium, heavy saucepan and place over medium heat. Be sure to use a large enough pot because the honey can easily boil over.
- Add in the dried culinary lavender and let the honey come to a boil.
- Let the honey boil for about 5 minutes to let the lavender infuse, then remove from heat.
- Pour the honey through a mesh sieve into a heat-proof container.
- Allow the honey to cool, uncovered, until room temperature, at least 1 hour.